Lucas BuzzardSenior Associate
Lucas Buzzard joined Joseph & Kirschenbaum in 2015. Lucas practices in all areas of employment law, and he has particular expertise with whistleblower cases and severance negotiations.
Lucas has significant trial experience, including a recent successful class action trial against the Valbella restaurants that resulted in a judgment of more than $5 million. During his time with the firm, Lucas has successfully handled scores of litigations, arbitrations, and severance negotiations on behalf of aggrieved employees that suffered discrimination and/or whistleblower retaliation.
Before joining the firm, Lucas clerked for the Hon. Peter W. Hall of the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit and served as a law clerk at the Second Circuit’s Staff Attorney’s Office. While in law school. Lucas served as an editor on the American University International Law Review. Lucas taught fourth grade and worked as an English instructor in Mexico City before attending law school.Notable Results
- $7.5 million settlement for a group of delivery drivers who were classified as independent contractors and were not paid an overtime premium
- $1 million settlement for class of banquet servers who claimed they were not paid an administrative fee
- $750,000 settlement of attorney’s disability discrimination claims
- $575,000 settlement for salesperson who complained about possible Medicare fraud
- $490,000 settlement for salesperson who complained about possible Medicaid fraud
New York State
U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
J.D., American University, Washington College of Law
- Magna Cum laude
- Order of the Coif
B.A., Drew University